As it turns out, we own our voices. While file-sharing professionally produced audio books is illegal, reading a book aloud and sharing your voice is permissable.The self-proclaimed acoustical liberator of books for the public domain, librivox — a library of the voice — is a website I’ve used a number of times with great success.
- Librivox is a non-commercial, non-profit and ad-free project
- Librivox donates its recordings to the public domain
- Librivox is powered by volunteers
- Librivox maintains a loose and open structure
- Librivox welcomes all volunteers from across the globe, in all languages
Check out http://librivox.org/ for free audio books, or to contribute your own … although I don’t see any of Latour’s books in there.